Beef Pot Pie à la Shepherd’s Pie.
You can cook Beef Pot Pie à la Shepherd’s Pie using 23 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Beef Pot Pie à la Shepherd’s Pie
- It’s of 1 onion, finely chopped.
- It’s of 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
- It’s of 2 pounds ground lean beef.
- Prepare of 2 cloves garlic, minced.
- It’s of 1/2 cup dry sherry or red wine.
- You need of 1 cup crushed tomatoes.
- Prepare of 1/2 cup chicken stock.
- It’s of 5 teaspoons salt.
- Prepare of 1 teaspoon sugar.
- You need of 1 teaspoon dry thyme leaves.
- You need of 2 bay leaves.
- You need of 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare of 1 envelope unflavored gelatin.
- Prepare of Ground black pepper.
- Prepare of Frozen or fresh vegetable mix that includes carrots.
- It’s of 2 cups frozen peas.
- Prepare of 3 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes or yams or a combination, peeled and cubed.
- Prepare of 5 tablespoons butter.
- You need of 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- It’s of Ground white pepper.
- You need of 1 3/4 cup milk.
- You need of 1 egg, beaten.
- It’s of Parmesan cheese.
Beef Pot Pie à la Shepherd’s Pie step by step
- In a Dutch oven sauté onion in oil for 5 minutes at medium temperature..
- Add beef and cook, breaking it into pieces and stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Add garlic and keep cooking until there’s no more pink..
- Add sherry and let the alcohol evaporate. Add tomatoes, stock, 2 teaspoons salt, sugar, thyme, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, gelatin powder, and ground black pepper to taste. Mix and cook for 10 minutes..
- Preheat oven to 425F..
- Add vegetables and cook for 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves..
- Pour mixture in a 15×10-inch baking pan that is on a rimmed baking sheet. Scatter peas on top..
- Make mashed potatoes by steaming them, ricing them and mixing with butter, nutmeg, 3 teaspoons salt, milk, and egg. Pour in a piping bag and distribute over peas evenly. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and smooth with spatula..
- With a fork create a pattern and bake until the top starts to brown. Let it rest for at least 20 minutes before eating. It can be made ahead: let it cool, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for up to two days; then reheat in a 350F oven for 30 minutes and then broil for a few minutes..